Policeman falls on the ground – level 3
This dramatic footage shows the moment a police officer was flung to the ground, as he tried to stop a moving getaway van.
Officers were called to a tile company in Birmingham following reports of a burglary in progress. When the police arrived, PC Gareth Lowe spotted a van near the scene and approached the passenger door. As he grabbed the handle, the vehicle began to accelerate away. Despite clinging on to it, as it gathered speed, he was thrown to the floor, smashing his head on the road. The 34 year-old officer’s injuries could have been life-threatening, but luckily he was treated at hospital and has now made a full recovery.
An investigation was launched on four men aged 24 and 25, who were arrested and are currently on police bail.
Difficult words: footage (video), fling (to throw something), getaway (something used in a crime to escape the police), tile (thin piece of baked clay which you have in your bathroom or kitchen), in progress (happening right then), PC (police constable), spot (see), accelerate (start to go faster), cling (to hold something tightly), bail (money left with police to make sure that a prisoner comes back).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.