Policeman saves a man – level 3
This dramatic footage shows the moment a Maryland police officer saves a man’s life, preventing him from an apparent suicide attempt.
Caught on camera, state trooper Joshua Kim can be seen arriving just in time to pull the potential jumper from the edge of the Tydings Memorial Bridge in Maryland.
Kim was carrying a routine patrol of the area when he spotted the man standing precariously on the edge of the bridge. As Kim pulls up the man lifts his hand, almost shooing him away.
Realising it could be a potential suicide case, he leaps from the car. The video then shows the officer start a run towards him, as the man lifts his leg over the bridge wall, before being dragged to safety. The man has not been identified and is currently being evaluated at a local hospital.
Difficult words: footage (video), attempt (try), state trooper (policeman), patrol (watch), spot (see), pull up (stop), precariously (dangerously), shoo (make a person go away by saying “shoo” or gesturing), drag (pull), evaluate (watch somebody to get information about them).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.