Politics in Sudan – level 2
Sudan’s President Omar al-Bashir was removed from power in April. A military council took power after him, but the country is still not stable.
Last month, there was a pro-democracy sit-in which led to deaths of 100 people. More people then started protesting. The protests ended and the military council is going to share power with civilians for the next three years. After the three years, people are going to choose their leaders.
Last Thursday, the military council said that it stopped a coup. The military arrested 16 people, and they are looking for more.
Difficult words: military council (a group of important soldiers like generals), sit-in (a type of protest when people stay somewhere and do not leave until somebody does what they want), civilian (a normal person who is not a soldier), coup (getting power quickly and illegally).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.