Pope apologizes to native peoples – level 2
In Canada, Pope Francis gave an official apology to the native people for the abuse in church residential schools from the 1800s to the 1990s. He asked for forgiveness that colonist Christians oppressed the native peoples.
He said that the government helped the Christians to destroy the people’s lives and histories, made them change to be like white people, and made the residential schools. They took the native people’s children to these schools to change how the children lived. Then, Pope Francis repeated his request for forgiveness for the evil actions.
Difficult words: residential school (a school where children live and they do not go home often), colonist (a person who comes to a place and takes control of it), oppress (to take away power).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos