Pope Benedict XVI dies – level 1
Benedict XVI is the pope between 2005 and 2013. He dies last week. He is 95 years old. Benedict wants to make Europe more Christian. He starts some traditions again. He does more than all the popes before him.
In 2010, there is a big problem. People learn terrible news about the church. Catholic priests sexually abuse young men.
This situation makes Benedict’s job difficult. The Pope stops his work in 2013. Since that time, he lives quietly in a monastery.
Pope Francis will lead the funeral of Pope Benedict XVI. It will be on Thursday.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.