Pope Francis in the USA – level 3
Pope Francis was met with standing ovation as he addressed the U.S Congress on Thursday.
“I am most grateful for invitation to address this joint session of Congress in the land of the free and the home of the brave.”
His speech comes after his meeting with President Barack Obama on Wednesday and is expected to address issues such as climate change and immigration. Pope Francis made history today by becoming the first pope to address a joint meeting with the senate and House of Representatives.
The pope is to address a U.S. Congress led by Republicans who have opposed Obama on issues of importance to the pontiff, including climate change and immigration. He’s expected to address climate change as well as the need to help migrants fleeing wars, international efforts to resolve conflicts, the U.S. role in helping poorer nations, religious freedom and the “right to life”.
In his meeting with Obama on Wednesday, the Pope called the democratic president’s efforts against air pollution “encouraging” and said climate change is a problem the world can no longer leave to future generations to address.
After addressing Congress, Pope Francis is due to speak to a group of 200 people served by the Catholic Charities group as part of his six-day tour of the United States.
Difficult words: pontiff (the pope), flee (to run away from something), effort (an act of trying to do something), due (planned).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos