Pope in Ireland – level 3
Pope Francis travelled to Ireland last weekend in the first papal visit to the country since 1979 when Pope John Paul II drew crowds of 2.7 million.
The current Pope expected to attract a fraction of that number (around 500,000) due to a series of scandals which undermined the once-powerful position of the Catholic Church.
Beginning in the 1990s, a series of criminal cases established that hundreds of priests had abused thousands of children over decades. Police convicted six Irish priests between 1975 and 2001.
The economic boom in the 1990s (which opened up Ireland to the world), the abortion referendum and legalising gay marriage also signalled changes in the nation’s attitude.
Pope Francis met Ireland’s President Michael D. Higgins, and the head of government Leo Eric Varadkar at Dublin castle where they gave a speech. His Holiness expressed pain and shame at the failure of church authorities regarding the scandals.
The historic visit to the country ended after the Holy Father attended a Mass in Dublin’s Phoenix Park where he begged forgiveness for the cases of sex abuse.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.