Pope talks about the Big Bang Theory – level 3
Pope Francis has said the Big Bang Theory is compatible with the Catholic Church’s teaching on creation.
Speaking to members of the Pontifical Academy of Science, the Pope said it is possible to believe in both, insisting God was responsible for the Big Bang from which all life evolved.
“The beginning of the world is not the work of chaos that owes its origin to something else, but it derives directly from a supreme principle that creates out of love. The Big Bang, that today is considered to be the origin of the world, does not contradict the creative intervention of God; on the contrary it requires it. Evolution in nature is not in contrast with the notion of divine creation because evolution requires the creation of the beings that evolve.”
The Pope’s remarks were in line with the Catholic Church’s teaching for the last few decades.
Difficult words: pontifical (relating to the pontiff or pope), insist (to say that you think something is true), evolve (to develop), origin (beginning), supreme (very great), principle (rule), contradict (say that something is not true), intervention (to interact and change something), notion (a conception or belief about something), divine (of God) remark (comment).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.