Pope Wants Ceasefire – level 2
Pope Francis said that he supported the UN Secretary-General’s statement to have a global ceasefire to end wars and to fight the coronavirus.
Francis said that he hoped countries will stop their fights with one another. He also said that countries need to help one another and pay attention to vulnerable people like those in prison or nursing homes.
Earlier this week, there were six confirmed cases of coronavirus in Vatican City. A Vatican official said that the Pope and people who work with him have not tested positive.
Difficult words: ceasefire (when leaders agree not to fight or to have wars), vulnerable (weak, defenseless), nursing home (a place for the elderly to live).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos