Power cut in Santiago – level 2
Tens of thousands of people were stuck in metro carriages in Santiago because of an electrical fault.
The power cut lasted for two hours, but the people left the carriages 40 minutes after it. Still, this was nothing you want to have happen at rush hour. People evacuated the passengers to the nearest stations.
The affected metro line has 30 stations. It sometimes carries between 5,000 and 6,000 people at every station.
Difficult words: power cut (when electricity stops), rush hour (time when a lot of people travel to or from work), affected (something affected is changed by something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos