Power cut in Santiago – level 3
Well, this is the last thing you want at rush hour.
Tens of thousands of Chileans were stuck in metro carriages underneath the capital city of Santiago on Wednesday due to an electrical fault.
Passengers were trapped underground without light for around 40 minutes before they eventually got let out.
The power cut affected the travel plans of all passengers who were traveling from the west to the south of the city.
According to local media, the power cut lasted for two hours and then normal service was resumed.
Once out, the passengers were evacuated to the nearest stations following security protocol.
The affected metro line has 30 stations and at peak time carries between 5,000 and 6,000 people at every station.
This was the second major failure in the metro recently after a crack was discovered on line four last week causing various stations to close.
Difficult words: rush hour (time when a lot of people travel to or from work), carriage (large car in a train), due to (because of), eventually (in the end), protocol (rules).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.