Prague university shooting – level 2
A tragic event unfolded at Charles University in Prague, the Czech Republic.
A 24-year-old student carried out a planned attack in which he killed 14 and injured 25 people. Earlier on the same day, police found dead the shooter’s father. It seems that the incident was inspired by similar events abroad. On 23 December, flags flew at half-mast as the country mourned the victims. The shooter was unknown to the police, but he had several weapons, and a few days before the attack, he killed two other people, a man and a two-month-old baby.
Such attacks are not very common in the country. The incident was the deadliest since 1993.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What measures do you think could be taken to prevent similar attacks from happening in the future?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.