President’s Drug Money – level 2
Joaquín Guzmán Loera, better known as El Chapo, ran Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel from 1989 to 2014. People say that in those 25 years, the cartel imported more than 200 metric tons of drugs into the USA.
In 2017, El Chapo was moved to the USA where he is on trial. If he is found guilty, he will spend the rest of his life in prison. El Chapo’s business partner was in a New York court room last Tuesday. He said that El Chapo bribed the now-former Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto. It was a bribe of $100 million given to Nieto in 2012 when he was still running for president.
Enrique Peña Nieto stopped being president just last year, in 2018. His spokesman said that he did not take the bribe.
Difficult words: on trial (lawyers are working to say if he is guilty or not), bribe (give money to somebody to do what you want them to do), former (-ex).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos