President’s Drug Money – level 3
Joaquín Guzmán Loera, better known as El Chapo, ran Mexico’s Sinaloa cartel from 1989 to 2014. During that time, the cartel allegedly imported more than 200 metric tons of cocaine to the US along with heroin, methamphetamine and marijuana.
In 2017, El Chapo was extradited to the USA and he has been on trial since November. If he is found guilty, he will spend the rest of his life in prison. El Chapo’s business partner told a New York court room last Tuesday that El Chapo bribed the now-former Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto. He said that the former president originally asked for $250 million from El Chapo, but they allegedly settled on $100 million, which he then paid to the then-president-elect in 2012.
Enrique Peña Nieto stopped being president just last year, in 2018. His spokesman said that he didn’t take the bribe.
Difficult words: allegedly (according to what some people say; it may or may not be true), extradite (hand over a criminal to a foreign country where he or she did something illegal), bribe (give money to somebody to do what you want them to do).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.