Presidents Meet – level 2
On Monday, the Russian President, Vladimir Putin, and the Ukrainian President, Volodymyr Zelensky, met in Paris for the first time since Zelensky become president in April.
This meeting was very important because it could help end the conflict between Russia and Ukraine.
The two presidents met alongside the French President, Emmanuel Macron, and the German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, but they plan to meet one-on-one, too.
The main point of the meeting was to solve a conflict in eastern Ukraine where the two countries are fighting in the Donbas region. Around 13,000 people died there since the fight began in 2014.
Ukrainians worry that the Russian President wants to get an advantage over the Ukrainian President, and this is not good for the future of Ukraine.
Difficult words: one-on-one (directly, with only two people), conflict (a fight), advantage (a situation which gives somebody a chance to be better than somebody else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos