Prime Minister cancels her wedding – level 2
New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that she canceled her wedding. The reason was the rising number of Omicron cases in the country.
In New Zealand, there was a limit of 100 people who could attend sports or other events. This limit was similar for weddings and funerals, too. It meant that many people had to cancel or delay these events.
93% of adults already got a COVID-19 vaccine in New Zealand, and doctors started giving it to children. Then, officials worried that it would not stop Omicron. People can get Omicron very easily, and in Australia, the number of sick people went up very quickly.
New Zealand’s government wanted to open the country to tourists again, but when the situation changed, the country will delay its opening later than it planned.
Difficult words: case (a person with a disease), funeral (a ceremony which people hold when somebody dies), postpone (to delay an event), vaccine (a medicine that makes a person strong against a disease).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.