Prime Minister of Iceland – level 1
The Panama Papers have secret information in them. They leak the information. Some people are in trouble because of the Panama Papers. One person is the Prime Minister of Iceland.
The papers show that his wife has a firm. It is abroad. It does something illegal. The Prime Minister steps down. He also talks to the president of Iceland. He asks the president to end the parliament. The president does not do it.
There are protests in Iceland. There are around 10,000 people outside the parliament. They ask the leader to step down.
Difficult words: leak (to make something secret public), illegal (something that the laws say you cannot do), step down (to quit a job).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.