Prince Andrew will go to court – level 2
Prince Andrew, the third child of Queen Elizabeth II, returned his royal titles to the Queen, and he will not use the title His Royal Highness anymore. The reason is that he is going to court in the US in the summer.
Virginia Giuffre accused the prince of sexual abuse, and she said that Jeffrey Epstein forced her to have sex with Andrew. Jeffrey Epstein was an American businessman, and he was also Prince Andrew’s friend. In 2008, a court found him guilty of crimes where he took women to other places to make them have sex with other people.
Last year, Giuffre went to court, and she accused Prince Andrew. A judge decided last week that there would be a trial, and Prince Andrew will face it as an ordinary person without any special rights. Prince Andrew always said that he did nothing wrong, but after a BBC interview in 2020, many people did not believe him anymore.
Difficult words: royal title (a royal name that you can use to have special rights as you are a member of a royal family), accuse (to officially say in a court that someone did something wrong), sexual abuse (when someone forces another person to have sex with him).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos