Prince Andrew will go to court – level 3
Queen Elizabeth II has removed royal patronages and military titles from her third child Prince Andrew, as she said that he will fight in his upcoming court case in the US as a private citizen. He will also stop using the title His Royal Highness officially.
A Manhattan judge refused to dismiss a sexual abuse lawsuit against Prince Andrew, meaning that the Prince’s attorneys must now prepare him to go to a New York, US, court. The accuser Virginia Giuffre says that convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein trafficked her and forced her to perform sex acts with the Prince when she was 17. Giuffre filed a lawsuit against the Prince last year and accused him of battery and intentionally inflicting emotional distress.
Prince Andrew has always denied the allegations, which led to a disastrous BBC interview after which he left royal duties.
Difficult words: royal patronage (when a member of the Royal Family becomes a patron, and he acts as a representative or supporter of an organization or charity), battery (unlawful personal violence to another person), inflict emotional distress (to hurt someone’s feelings so much that their life changes), deny the allegations (to say that you did not do something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.