Prison Break on Sumatra – level 2
About 200 inmates escaped from a prison on Sumatra. It happened on Friday when the prisoners were out of their cells during prayers. The capacity of the prison is for 200 people, but it is holding almost 1,900 people.
Hundreds of police and soldiers came to the prison and set up roadblocks around the city. They caught over half of the prisoners on the same day.
Difficult words: inmate (a prisoner), cell (a prisoner’s small room), prayers (an event when people pray/ ‘talk to God’ together).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.