Prison Break on Sumatra – level 3
About 200 inmates escaped from an overcrowded prison on Sumatra which is holding about 1,900 people despite its capacity of only 300 people. The inmates escaped on Friday when they were let out of their cells for Friday prayers. They overwhelmed the six guards on duty who the inmates accused of being violent.
Hundreds of police and soldiers were deployed to the prison, and they set up roadblocks around the city. According to the Justice and Human Rights Ministry, they recaptured over half of the prisoners on that same day.
Difficult words: overwhelm (be stronger than).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos