Prisoners return to prison – level 2
The recent US prisoner recidivism data shows that most prisoners get arrested within three years of release.
The main reason is that the prisoners return to the same negative situations before and after prison, and they also struggle to find jobs, places to live, and support.
Prisoners are less likely to get arrested again if they get an education while in prison. They can also get job training and support to live in society. They need continued support outside of prison.
An organization said that rearrest numbers are high but falling. They hope that fewer people are being arrested for non-serious crimes, and businesses are willing to hire released prisoners.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.