Prisoners return to prison – level 3
The most recent US prisoner recidivism data is from 2012, the data shows that 6 of 10 past prisoners return to prison within 3 years.
This situation happens because they are in the same negative situations before and after prison, and they do crimes again.
Past prisoners struggle because they may not be able to find jobs, places to live, and other support. However, they are less likely to get rearrested if they get education and life support during prison; they also need continued support after prison.
An organization said that rearrest numbers are high but falling. The organization said that maybe fewer people are being arrested for non-serious crimes, the government is spending more money to prevent recidivism, and businesses are willing to hire past prisoners.
In contrast to the US, only 1 in 5 people in Norway returns to prison. Norway uses restorative justice and rehabilitation with job training and mental health support.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.