Prisoners Save a Guard – level 3
Security cameras captured the scene when hand-cuffed inmates broke out of their holding cell to save their supervising guard’s life.
First they can be seen shouting for help, but when no one came, they broke out and used his radio to call for help. When the other guards arrived, the inmates were returned to their cell, where they watched as CPR was attempted. Eventually, paramedics arrived at the scene.
The inmates’ actions were credited with saving the officer’s life.
Difficult words: inmate (a person in prison), holding cell (a room prisoners stay inside while they are at court), CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), attempt (try), paramedic (a medical professional who helps people survive before they go to hospital), credit (say someone has done something good).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
Have you ever been in prison?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.