Problems for Poland and Belarus – level 3
Drone footage captured the growing problems on the Poland-Belarus border after a political stand-off led to a worsening situation.
Poland is blocking hundreds of migrants from entering at the Belarus border, and the Polish government sent extra soldiers and warned of a possible armed conflict. Up to 4,000 people gathered at the country´s eastern border, and it was said that Belarusian soldiers took migrants’ mobile phones, and they were controlling the people.
Many migrants are running from war, starvation, and persecution across the Middle East and Asia. Several people have died as overnight temperatures regularly fall below zero.
According to an EU spokesperson, the conflict is a continuation of the desperate attempt by Alexander Lukashenko‘s government to use people as hostages to destabilize the EU and its values. However, Belarus´s leader denied creating this problem.
Difficult words: stand-off (a situation in which neither of two opposing groups will make a move until the other one does something), persecution (unfair or cruel treatment over a long period of time because of race, religion or political beliefs), destabilize (to make something less stable or secure).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.