Problems in Germany – level 1
This news is from Cologne. Cologne is a city in Germany. People are in the main station.
There are hundreds of women there. Men assault the women. They “touch the women everywhere”. This happens on New Year’s Eve.
The men are from Africa and the Middle East. In Germany, there are 1.1 million immigrants from Africa and the Middle East. There are already problems between the Germans and the immigrants. This incident makes things even worse.
However, people say that the police are not doing enough.
Difficult words: assault (to attack), immigrant (a person who comes to a different country to live there), incident (a bad situation like an attack or an accident).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about all of these problems?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.