Problems in Madrid – level 3
An African street vendor in Madrid, Spain, died trying to evade police cracking down on illegal street sales. Madrid’s mayor says that he regrets the 35-year-old’s death and called for an investigation into the incident.
People reported that the man died of cardiac arrest after he collapsed while policemen chased him on motorcycles. Following the incident, clashes between people and police broke out in the city, with protesters hurling stones and starting fires that firefighters spent a night putting out.
Difficult words: vendor (a person who sells something), evade (run away from), cardiac arrest (when the heart stops), clash (fight), hurl (throw).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos