Problems in the sugar industry – level 1
Problems are starting in the sugar business.
One of the reasons is the war in Ukraine. Ukraine is one of the most important producers of sugar beet. The sugar beet is a plant. People use it to make sugar. Farmers in Ukraine stop harvesting the sugar beet. This is a problem for all the world. People need more and more sugar.
Companies don’t have enough sugar in stock. Soon, sugar may be hard to find. It will be more expensive.
The EU is the third largest producer of sugar. Some factories use coal or oil. Many factories need gas. The EU will stop buying gas from Russia.
Factories may not buy sugar beet from farmer. Farmers will have problems, too.
Difficult words: producer (a company or country which makes or grows something), harvest (to pick fruit and crops to eat), stock (material or things which a company uses or sells).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos