Problems in the sugar industry – level 3
The sugar industry is the latest industry affected by the war in Ukraine and by supply chain issues.
Producers worry that gas shortages may soon impact the global production of sugar. During the last three years, the demand of sugar has grown higher than production, and the stock of sugar has decreased in the world.
Due to the war in Ukraine, sugar producers have lost some of the worldwide sugar beet harvest, and experts say the loss will bring a big supply problem for the whole world. Sugar beets are 32% of the world’s sugar supply, and the EU is the third largest sugar producer in the world.
The manufacturing process uses a relatively large amount of energy for a short period of time, and most of this energy comes from coal, oil, or gas. Many factories fully depend on gas delivery, and they may soon have problems with processing sugar beets. That situation will be a disaster for beet growers and for the whole industry.
Difficult words: supply chain (a network of people and organizations that are involved in getting a product to customers), sugar beet (a plant with a root that makes sugar), relatively (an unusual amount).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.