Processed meat gives you cancer – level 2
The World Health Organisation announced that processed meat can cause cancer. Experts found that eating 50 grams of processed meat increases the risk of bowel cancer by 18 per cent. Fifty grams is less than two slices of bacon.
The organisation also found that red meat is probably carcinogenic, too. It tells people to re-think eating meat. While some people may stop eating meat, others do not believe this.
Difficult words: announce (to say something officially), processed (made by people), bowel (the system of tubes where food goes after leaving the stomach), carcinogenic (causing cancer).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Are you going to stop eating meat?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos