Protest against bullfighting – level 3
A Colombian animal rights campaigner has had 2,500 needles put in her back to protest cruelty against bulls.
Fanny Pachon says she’s angered by the local traditional bullfighting festivals.
Outside the mayor’s office in Cartagena, an acupuncture specialist carefully placed the needles in her back.
A small group of activists joined the protest, holding posters such as one that read, “Bullfighter, if you are brave, dare to feel what the bull feels.”
If Fanny is successful, she could beat the Guinness World Record currently held by Wei Shengchu, who stuck 2,009 needles in his head back in 2009.
Bullfighting is popular in Colombia, where in September the country’s highest courts lifted a ban on bullfighting in the capital city of Bogota.
Difficult words: traditional (something done for many years by people), acupuncture (when you put needles in your skin to help the body), lift (to end formally), ban (when it is illegal to do something).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.