Protest Against Police Brutality in Paris – level 2
Police in Paris used tear gas against protesters. The protesters threw bottles during a protest against police brutality. Some officers and civilians were injured and police arrested some people.
The protesters wanted to support a young man. People think that he was raped with a police baton. The 22-year old man spent two weeks in hospital after the incident.
One of the protesters thinks that the government needs to make sure that justice is respected. He thinks that people need to criticize the incident in public. These things must be stopped.
Four officers received charges but they say that they did not do anything wrong.
Difficult words: tear gas (a chemical that makes you cry), rape (hurt sexually), a police baton (a club used by police), justice (rights).
You can watch the video news in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.