Protest Against Police Brutality in Paris – level 3
Police in Paris fired tear gas against protesters who threw bottles during a protest against police brutality. A number of officers and civilians were injured and police arrested some people.
The protesters wanted to support a young man who reportedly was raped with a police baton. The 22-year old victim spent two weeks in hospital after the incident.
One of the protesters thinks that society should question the government to make sure justice is respected. He thinks that the incident needs to be criticized publicly. Such things must be stopped.
Four officers received charges but they deny any wrongdoing.
Difficult words: tear gas (a chemical that police use to make people run away), reportedly (when people are not 100% sure about something), a police baton (a club used by police), charge (say that somebody may be guilty of a crime), deny (not admit, not agree), wrongdoing (activity of doing something bad, wrong).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos