Protest in Bolivia – level 1
150 people go to La Paz. La Paz is the capital of Bolivia. The people protest in front of the presidential palace. Police stop them. The people try to break through a gate. Police use pepper spray and tear gas on them.
These people are disabled. They want money from the government. They get just under 100 pounds a year. They want 50 pounds a month.
The government does not give them the money. The government says that it is too much. However, it will talk to them about it.
Difficult words: gate (big door), pepper spray and tear gas (things which are bad for your eyes; police use this against protestors), disabled (they have problems with their body and/or mind), government (the “bosses” of a country).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.