Protest in Bolivia – level 2
150 activists made a 370-kilometre trek to La Paz. They protested in front of the presidential palace. After police stopped them, they tried to break through a gate. The police used pepper spray and tear gas on them.
This was a protest by disabled Bolivians. They were demanding an increase in their benefits. They currently receive just under 100 pounds a year, but they want to receive around 50 pounds a month instead.
Some of the protesters hang themselves from bridges or do other extreme things – all to raise awareness of their difficult situation.
The government says that extra help is not possible and that a monthly bonus of 50 pounds is not possible. However, it wants to enter talks with the protesters.
Difficult words: demand (to ask for), benefit (money from the government), raise awareness (to tell people about).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.