Protest in Calais – level 2
Thousands of migrants moved to Calais, France. They are fleeing war and poverty in their countries, but the situation in Calais is now not good for the French residents or businesses.
Earlier this year, the government destoryed the southern half of the so-called jungle migrant camp. France’s Interior Minister said that the rest of the camp would be gone too, but he gave no date. People think that more than 7,000 migrants live in the northern half of the camp.
Some locals say that the government is not doing anything and they decided to protest. They drove in a big group of trucks, slowing the traffic down to a minimum, in the protest against the migrants.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.