Protest in Vienna – level 3
Thousands of protesters have marched through Vienna’s city centre to demonstrate against an annual ball attended by members of European right-wing political parties and movements. The ball is to take place in the historic Hofburg Palace, part of which houses the office of Austria’s President Heinz Fischer.
Organised by the Austrian far-right Freedom Party, the event is part of the annual Viennese ball season, usually attracting right-wing figures from all over Europe, including members of the French National Front and German anti-Islam movement.
Protesters against the ball included members of left wing and anti-fascist groups, many of whom carried flags, and chanted slogans as they marched through the night streets.
“We’re from the Offensive Against Right Extremism, and we’re here to protest fascists and neo-Nazis, and we are here to show the people there’s another world possible, a better world possible, where all the refugees that are coming now to Europe, they are being welcomed.”
Over the years, the annual ball and its counter protest have become a regular flashpoint for clashes between demonstrators and the police. Hundreds of riot police were seen patrolling the streets on Friday evening, but for these protesters, who amassed in their thousands, the message was clear:
“Our goal is to protest this ball and to have it removed from the Hofburg which is after all an official building of the Republic of Austria.”
Difficult words: annual (yearly), attend (to be present), figure (a famous person), fascist (a government where a leader is a dictator who controls all of the people), chant (to sing or to say together), counter (against), flashpoint (a time when there’s violence), clash (a fight), riot police (the police which deals with riots – violent protests), amass (to come together).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos