Protests at US Embassy – level 2
6,000 protesters came to the US embassy in Baghdad, Iraq because of US airstrikes that happened last weekend.
The five deadly airstrikes killed 25 people and hurt dozens of people in a militia group that Iran supports. Many of the protesters were part of that same group.
Some of the protesters broke into the embassy, burned things, and broke windows. The US soldiers who were guarding the embassy fired tear gas at the protesters.
There were no plans to evacuate the embassy and no Americans were hurt. Iran says that it was not part of the protests.
Difficult words: airstrike (an attack on something with a flying vehicle such as a plane), militia (a group of people who are similar to an army), tear gas (a gas that hurts people’s eyes and it makes them leave an area).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.