Protests at Venice Film Festival – level 2
Protesters clashed with security at the Venice Film Festival during the premiere of Woody Allen’s 50th film ‘Coup De Chance’.
Hollywood excluded Allen when the #MeToo movement started because he allegedly sexually attacked his adopted daughter Soon-Yi Previn in the 1990s. Demonstrators shouted at Allen and they tried to get on the red carpet but the security stopped them. Allen said that he understood the #MeToo movement but he also said that sometimes the movement was silly. His French-language film got mixed reactions.
The festival also screened Sofia Coppola in a movie about Priscilla Presley, wife of Elvis Presley. After the movie, questions came about Elvis’s relationship with a teenage girl.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What reactions did Allen's French-language film get?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.