Protests at Venice Film Festival – level 3
Woody Allen faced protests and controversy at the Venice Film Festival as he presented his 50th film ‘Coup De Chance’.
Demonstrators chanted ‘no rape culture’ and clashed with security. Allen, who has been shunned by Hollywood since the #MeToo movement emerged, arrived with his wife Soon-Yi Previn, who is the adopted daughter of his ex-partner, Mia Farrow. The allegations against Allen involve molesting Previn in the 1990s, which he claims were fabricated by Farrow. The festival faced criticism for including both Allen and Roman Polanski, another controversial figure. Allen expressed support for #MeToo but also criticized it as silly in some cases. His film that’s entirely in French received mixed reactions. Meanwhile, Polanski’s film ‘The Palace’ was heavily criticized.
The festival also screened Sofia Coppola’s biopic of Elvis Presley’s wife Priscilla which garnered strong reviews but raised uncomfortable questions about Elvis’s relationship with a teenage girl.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is the public's opinion of the festival's decision to screen Allen and Polanski's films and why has it been so controversial?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.