Protests in Brazil – level 3
Tens of thousands of protesters in over 200 of Brazil’s cities and towns are demanding President Jair Bolsonaro be impeached because of how he handled the coronavirus pandemic. Half a million Brazilians have died during the pandemic.
This was the biggest mobilization of people against Bolsonaro since the pandemic began in Brazil. Protesters say that the president trivialized the coronavirus as a “little flu”, and he did not use proper measures such as social distancing or lockdowns. The president has said that he did these things to protect Brazilian jobs.
Difficult words: impeach (to charge a top political leader with a serious crime), mobilization (when many people come together at the same time to do something), trivialize (to say something is not serious).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.