Protests in France Continue – level 2
In France, people have been protesting and demonstrating for two weeks.
The main protest started against a fuel tax, but now authorities say that far-right extremists are taking over the protests to spread their ideas. Authorities also do not like the amount and the violence of the protests.
This weekend, a march of 17,000 climate protesters peacefully walked in Paris, but afterwards, some protesters began to riot. Police arrested hundreds of protesters after they destroyed a shop.
Difficult words: fuel tax (extra money you must pay to the government when you buy gas or coal), far-right extremist (a person who wants a government to support only its people and thinks that they are better people than other people), riot (throw and break things in the streets and attack people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos