Protests in France – level 1
There are protests in France. People protest high taxes on fossil fuels. Some protesters also want the French president to step down.
Two people die in the protests. Hundreds of people are injured. This weekend, there are 3,000 police officers in Paris. They are there because of the protesters.
Difficult words: tax (the money which goes to the country when you buy something), fossil fuel (a material like gas, coal and oil which people burn to get energy), step down (stop being something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos