Protests in France – level 2
Demonstrations started in France last weekend, continued through the week and this weekend. Two people died and hundreds were injured.
The protests are over rising taxes on fossil fuels. The French President Emmanuel Macron says that the taxes are needed to reduce the country’s dependency on fossil fuels. Some protesters are also anti-government and they want Macron to step down.
Around 3,000 police officers were ready for the protesters in Paris this weekend. The protests turned violent, and police used tear gas and a water cannon against the protesters.
Difficult words: fossil fuel (a material like gas, coal and oil which people burn to get or make energy), dependency (being dependent – needing something too much), violent (violent people destroy things and attack other people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos