Protests in Haiti – level 1
People in Haiti protest. Some people break things. Some people set cars on fire. They set a petrol station on fire. Police fight the protesters.
The people are angry. Inflation in Haiti is very high. They say that their president and the politicians are corrupt. They do not help the country. They only get money for themselves.
Difficult words: inflation (when you can buy less and less things for the same amount of money), politician (a person in politics, a ‘boss’ of a country or city), corrupt (only taking money for themselves and not helping the country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.