Protests in Haiti – level 2
People demonstrated against the government in the capital of Haiti. People also destroyed and robbed shops in the city’s business area.
They set cars and a petrol station on fire. The police fought the protesters and arrested some of them. The people are angry because inflation is extremely high.
People are saying that their president is corrupt, and they want him to quit. Haiti was going to get some money for help, but the corrupt officials took it for themselves.
Difficult words: inflation (when you can buy less and less things for the same amount of money), corrupt (not doing their job – helping the country – but using their power to get rich), official (a person in a position of power, a boss of a country or a part of a country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos