Protests in North India – level 2
Police convicted a popular religious leader from North India of rape. The alleged raping of two women took place at his sect’s building in 2002.
The sect leader performs rock concerts and says that his sect has 60 million followers. Around 200,000 of them came together to the city where police convicted him on Friday. At least 23 people died in the protests.
Difficult words: convict (say that somebody is guilty of doing something illegal), rape (having sex with a person who does not want to), alleged (said to have happened), sect (a religious group, often extreme or dangerous).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos