Protests in North India – level 3
At least 23 people died in violent protests over the rape conviction of a popular religious leader in North India. Ram Rahim Singh was found guilty of raping two women at his sect’s headquarters in 2002.
He performs rock concerts and his sect claims to have 60 million global followers. Singh has denied the charges but is expected to be sentenced on Monday.
Around 200,000 followers of the guru came to Chandigarh, the capital of the northern Indian states of Punjab and Haryana, before the verdict on Friday. In Punjab, curfews were imposed and Internet services suspended.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.