Protests in Paris – level 1
French police shoot dead a Chinese man. It happens in Paris. Police say that the man attacks them with scissors. They say that it is self-defence.
The man has a family. His family has a lawyer. He says that the police are not telling the truth. China contacts the French embassy.
The next day after the killing, people in Paris protest. Three policemen are injured. Thirty people are arrested.
Difficult words: self-defence (doing something bad to somebody to protect yourself), truth (how things really happen), embassy (a place in a country which represents another country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos