Protests in Paris – level 2
French police shot dead a Chinese man in his home in Paris. The police say that the man attacked an officer with scissors, so they acted in self-defence. The lawyer of the family rejected the description, and China contacted the French embassy.
The next day after the killing, people in Paris started to protest. Three police officers were injured and more than 30 people were arrested.
Difficult words: reject (say that something is not true), description (saying how something happened), embassy (a place in a country which represents a foreign country).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.